You want to catch some Springers and the Willamette River is a great place to do that. Here are Swanny’s top places to fish this river system.
- The Falls. This is a great place to find Springers stacked up before they head up river. What to use: Back Troll Divers & Shrimp, Herring and Anchovies. Eggs work excellent as well.
- The Port. This is a deep water fishery from Sellwood to Fred’s. In this part of the Willamette the Springer’s stack. I like to fish from 14ft-21ft on the line counters.
- Fred’s. This is a very small fishery at the head of the channel and is a troll fishery as well. Use Herring and Coon Shrimp with Spinners.
- Skappose to Coon Island. Moving down the channel, you’ll find this excellent fishery. What makes it such a great spot is that the channel narrows down and the fish are more congregated.
- Gilbert Landing. This is a very popular fishery with a boat ramp in the location on the bottom end of Sulvy Island. Herring troll is the best here.
- Day Marker 6. Moving down river to the barges, this is a shallow water fishery. Pay attention to the tides.
- The Mill. Troll in circles at the Mill and work the bottom with Herring.